Mold is a common HVAC complaint that can be easily solved.
HVAC systems that are not well maintained can supply the conditions perfect for mold to grow. A common place to first spot mold growth is on your HVAC vents, showing that you need to take action immediately. Some types of mold have negative health effects and can simultaneously lower the value of your home as extensive mold growth is expensive to remove.
Mold growth is due to excessive moisture or humidity. Sources of water combined with dust and dirt within your ductwork create a breeding ground for spores to grow. Take immediate action with these steps:
- Have your ducts professionally cleaned. Contact your local Minnesota Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer. Everyone involved in this cleaning should wear at least an N-95 respirator.
- Inspect your HVAC system for a drain line backup.
- Look for plumbing leaks or poor drainage.
- Give your complete system a tune-up.
Prevent mold growth in the future by paying attention to these details:
- Keep the humidity level in your home between 40 and 60 percent. Use an air conditioner or a dehumidifier during humid months and in damp spaces, like basements.
- Fix any and all leaks.
- Direct your clothes dryer vent to outdoors.
- Dry your home within 24-48 hours of flooding. Use wet vacuums to clean out any standing water and replace anything porous, such as filters or insulation, that has become wet.
- Use exhaust fans that vent outside your home in the kitchen and bathroom.
Breathe easy knowing that you have properly protected your home against mold growth.
If you’re interested in learning more about any of these products or technologies, contact your local Minnesota Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer. You can find the one closest to you at StayComfyMinnesota.com.
For more energy saving and home comfort tips, visit StayComfyMinnesota.com! Stay Comfy, Minnesota is your Minnesota resource for air conditioning repair, furnace repair and HVAC tips and advice.