As love matures and grows, it needs effort, patience, and tender loving care. The same could be said about your furnace and air conditioner. You have better commit to a relationship of maintenance if you want to keep your furnace burning as hot as your love for your Valentine.
Your furnace and air conditioner may not have feelings, but it can still hold a grudge and retaliate if you choose to ignore it. Plan a date with your HVAC and stay in constant comfort by going through this checklist:
- Confirm that the furnace cycles through start-up to shut-down via your thermostat.
- Check the supply (small grates in each room) and return air (large grate, usually in a hallway) temperature to make sure your thermostat is accurate.
- Clean and level your thermostat. For older thermostats this ensures proper function since many of them have liquid mercury switches. And always, this is aesthetically more eye pleasing.
- There is a safety switch on all furnace doors that “pops out” when the door is removed. Make sure this is unobstructed and clean
- Look at all the visible wiring and electrical connections for burns or unraveling/loose wire nuts or tape.
- Check the condition of your vent connection pipe and chimney for rust or gaps. Venting system parts can deteriorate over time.
- Regularly make sure the condensing unit located outside is not covered up or clogged with leaves or debris. The unit needs to breathe, to draw air into the system.
- Change the filters regularly.
- Do not use a hose and water to try to clean the interior of the unit. Cleaning the unit in this way can lead to serious risk of electrical shock and possible shorting of electrical components.
- DO clean the dust and debris that have collected on the inside of your unit with an AC cleaning brush. Spray the evaporator and condenser fins with air conditioner cleaner after covering all electrical components with a rag. Vacuum up all loose debris.
Create a relationship with your HVAC, not your repairman. A good couple is successful because they work at it. Save yourself time and money down the road by maintaining your air conditioner and furnace now. It may seem like a hassle at first, but you will see how beneficial it is with time.
“Good relationships don’t just happen; they take time, patience and two people who truly want to work to be together.”
If you’re interested in learning more about any of these products or technologies, contact your local Minnesota Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer. You can find the one closest to you at StayComfyMinnesota.com.
For more energy saving and home comfort tips, visit StayComfyMinnesota.com! Stay Comfy, Minnesota is your Minnesota resource for air conditioning repair, furnace repair and HVAC tips and advice.