The first official day of summer is quickly approaching, but most of here in Minnesota have already had to turn on our central AC’s due to the warm temps we’ve been experiencing. And with more hot and humid temps to come, we’re guessing your AC unit is going to be getting a lot of work this season!
If you’ve notice that your air conditioning unit doesn’t seem to be performing as well as it should, there are some things you can do before calling an air conditioning repair specialist.
Some things you can do before calling an HVAC professional include:
- Check to make sure that your thermostat is set in the “cool” position.
- Ensure that your outdoor air conditioning (condensing unit) is running:
- Check the circuit breakers in the circuit breaker box (or electrical panel), most likely mounted to an outside wall in the back of the house. Are they in the “On” position?
- Check the outdoor unit “disconnect switch” to make sure it is in the “ON” position. The disconnect switch is located near the outdoor unit. (Typically a grey 8″ wide x 16″ high x 4″ deep box mounted to the wall).
- Ensure that the blower motor in your furnaceis running. (If the thermostat is in the “cool” position, the furnace blower should be running.)
- If not, check to make sure the on / off switch at the furnace is in the “ON” position
- Be sure that you have changed your filter in the furnacerecently.
- An extremely blocked filter can cause your outdoor air conditioner unit to shut down due to lack of proper airflow.
- Your filter should be changed every month.
- Check all return air grilles to make sure they are not blocked by furniture.
- Check all supply air registers to make sure they are open and blowing air. (The return air grilles are normally located on your walls and are wide and flat).
If you’ve gone through these steps and your AC still doesn’t seem to be operating up to par, give your local Minnesota Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer a call. They have the right knowledge and equipment to get your AC in tip-top shape!
And don’t forget! You can enter to win a heating and cooling system from Carrier*! Like us on Facebook and enter to win!
*HVAC Sweepstakes. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Starts 4/24/12. Ends 10/31/12. Legal residents of MN 18+ .Must own a home with a ducted HVAC system. Void where prohibited. Visit www.StayComfyMinnesota.com for Official Rules. Sponsor: Minnesota Air, Bloomington, MN